Macklemore & Ryan Lewis: The Heist (Review)

Early in this year my friend, S.W, kept telling me to look into this dude name, Macklemore. At that moment, I really didn't want to because I do not like people telling me what I should look into. But so short sighted; she only wanted to share great music with me which now I am in love with. I heard of the dude name Macklemore who was from Seattle but I really didn't look into because I was on my own to discover few new music (i.e. Beatles, Dylan, Hendrix, AC/DC/ Zeppelin...all time great musics), but damn, was I wrong not to let his guy into my playlist. Then, one faithful morning at work, my friend had Pandora on and I heard the full "Thrift Shop" song and it sparked the interest, but still little under the shades. Then, I heard Kevin Hart was going to host SNL, which is my favorite TV show, and musical guest was Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. Due to being a college student, I don't have cable tv at my house which results me to download most of these shows, normally. But this time, I was lucky enough to watch it live and they performed "Thrift Shop" and "Can't Hold Us". I liked "Thrift Shop" but what got me to really listen to him was "Can't Hold Us" because I love hip hop and I love any songs that has good live instrument use on it's track. Because, I see that music is so dead these days and generated with computers, it's refreshing to listen to actual instruments playing. So, after that, I started to download and watch EVERYTHING about Macklmore & Ryan Lewis. Their indie album did numbers like major label would and the album itself is a great album. Here is my favorite songs from the album "The Heist".

Track 1: Ten Thousand Hours: Got the Ireland kind of feel to it, and the songs talks about the long journey of him trying to become a successful musician. Great intro soundtrack.

Track 2: Can't Hold Us: Got to be my favorite song in the CD. Got the feeling of soccer anthem where it just pumps you up. Every time this song starts, I clapping. With piano sound and high clap sound with horns are just a great mixture of rap and live instruments. Macklemore raps pretty fast on this song and Ray Dalton's smooth vocal is surely made this song a hitter.

Track 5: Same Love: Very critically acclaimed song that talks about same sex marriage. It has similar beat to Scarface's "My Block" song but Mary Lambert's vocal is just outstanding mixture for this song. On the interview, they mention that they reached out to many known artist like Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj but they never heard back from them. When they asked Mary, she was happy to do the song. I consider this song to be perfectly timed song related to current event. Recently, WA passed the Same sex marriage law and it was starting to inspire the nations view on it. Great song with great message.

Track 11: Wing$: Love how he used "$" symbol at the end of the title of the song. It's a song about his obsession with Air Jordan shoes. First verse talks about his first introduction to the shoes and how he felt when he wore them, but realize, it was just more than shoes. Second verse get little bit controversial and the idea of consumerism became the priorities to him and becoming slave to his brand. Third verse, he realizes that it's just a material goods. Love this song.

Track 14: Starting Over: Talks about his addiction to syrup/ lean (Codeine mix with soda), and how he got clean but how he was feeling during his addiction. Very touch subject but, if you ever used substance and been addicted to something, you can relate to this song.

Last of my favorite song list, but surely, not least
actually this is in my top 3 favorite song of the album

Track 17: My Oh My: Talks about the Mariners game and Dave Niehaus. Dave Niehaus was the Seattle Mariners broadcaster and he use to say "My Oh My" which became the teams slogan for awhile. The song captures the moment so greatly that it actually gives me goosebumps when I hear it because, even though I was not in Seattle in 1995 Division Series, Macklemore paints such perfect word picture.


So these are my favorite songs from the Macklemore's "The Heist" album. Makes me proud that he is from Seattle and raps very articulately. But we are just starting, Let's begin 206!!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Special: My Memory of You(R.I.P Melissa Fagin)

My cellphone history

Top 5 Favorite Rappers of PJ