"Sir" & "Ma'am"

Not many people say these words any more; Sir or Ma'am. I worked in customer service long enough that if became words that I use frequently. People love to here and some prefer to be just called by their name when I call them that. But these are words of manner and you can't go wrong showing some manner. But this blog isn't about manners, it's more about domino affect. Currently, I work at a convenient store and I deal with many different characters; Some rich, some poor, some young and some old. Older generation love hearing younger person call them Sir or Ma'am because it shows sign of respect. Not really in Pullman but on the Westside of Washington, lot of young people come in and greet with "What's Up, Yo, Sup", which I am not mad at but, personally, I don't really like it. It's because I am a person of class and I try to act like a gentleman much as possible. I know why they do it because I use to those kids. I use to have pants hanging under my butt, shirts 3 times bigger than my normal size, hat crooked it side ways, and walk like I just took a  dump in my pants; I WAS one of those kids. Where ever I go, the greeting words were either "What's Up" or "Yo". but when I am done with something, I move on and I evolve myself to become something different then the norm. I hate to be part of the norm. Anyways, I start to realize something. I have this customers who comes in often; by look of him, you can tell he is a hip hop head(Person who follows hip hop and it's culture). When we first interacted, he acted like any other hip hop heads and said "What's up, man. Yeah, let me get those Swishers, man", and I would reply using "Sir" to everything I said. And now, he comes in and say "Good morning, Sir. How's your day going so far?". I really love seeing that because, once again, you can't go wrong with showing some manner. Yeah, acting rebellious and outta the norm is cool, but when every one does is, you become part of the norm. Try something different. I'm just happy that I showed this kid how to be proper. Much as people complain how they don't get a job and blah blah blah....listen here youngster, I been there and done that. Learn from the person who walked in the same shoes as you did. You carry yourself like a hoodlum, you will be treated as a hoodlum. You carry yourself as a gentleman, they will treat you like a gentleman. Don't sit there and say "Man, they are judging me, they don't know who I really am". Yes, they do not know who you are except what you present them. You wouldn't go to a interview with T shirt and jeans with sneakers on, would you? It might sound like it's nothing, but it could be a world of difference.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Special: My Memory of You(R.I.P Melissa Fagin)

My cellphone history

Top 5 Favorite Rappers of PJ